Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Some comments about commenting on the comments

I am a comment hypocrite.

I adore getting comments. I bounce with excitement when I see that I have gotten a new comment, clicking impatiently as I wait for it to load so that I can see what someone has written. I love knowing that people are not only actually! reading! my! blog, but are stirred enough by my words to consider them worthy of comment.

And do I ever get round to acknowledging these comments with any sort of response? Do I heck.

This is partly because of my extreme congenital disorganisation, and partly because I find myself a little uncertain of comment etiquette. Should I try to respond to all comments? If more than one person responds to a post and there's something I want to say about one comment but not the other(s), will those who are not responded to feel slighted by contrast? Is it fairer just to ignore everyone equally? So, I remain paralysed by indecision and procrastination and leave the comments unresponded to, despite the fact that I not only love getting them but also love it when I comment on someone else's blog and they respond. See? Comment hypocrite.

But if you've commented on this blog at any stage, do rest assured that even if I was so rude as to give no indication of this, I treasured your comment. I read it over and over with a thrill of "They want to comment on my blog!" And you have my sincere thanks. Well, unless you're that bloody spambot, in which case I hope you get toenail rot.

6 Comments:

At November 15, 2005 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I feel exactly the same way about comments. I'm a terrible responder ;)

 
At November 16, 2005 4:14 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I just wanted to say hello and make your day... (no need to respond!)

 
At November 16, 2005 2:31 PM, Blogger Trista said...

Oh you hypocrite you. As if buying a house and fixing holes in the floor and moving were a good enough reason not to breathlessly respond to my every typed thought.

I am deeply deeply disappointed I cannot even express it.

I think I'll go ignore my own commenters and leave you alone.

Did you know you have readers in Denmark? Yes, you do, because they followed the link to my site from your site. How cool is that? Are you just tickled, cause I am. Wow.

 
At November 16, 2005 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just flabberghasted that not only do you have time to blog, but that you have time to read comments and then agonise whether to respond or not.

I have too many kids (3 biological and the one I married) and need an extra 2 and a half hours a day as it is...

Love reading it...

 
At November 20, 2005 5:50 PM, Blogger Adria said...

I love getting comments too, but can't figure out how to respond privately via blogger. And I'm generally not motivated enough to come back to my blog post and respond.

 
At November 20, 2005 6:41 PM, Blogger Poor_Statue said...

I feel exactly like you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home